- I Want To...
- Apply For...
- Permit / License / Event
- Residential Property Registration
Residential Property Registration
Non-Owner Occupied Property Registration -
Definition: All tenant occupied and properties vacant for 6 months or more located within the city limits of Peoria, IL must be registered per the City's municipal code.
Short-Term Rental Property License -
Definition: All or part of a property rented to a transient guest for a period of 29 days or less must apply for a license per the City's municipal code.
Registration Due Date
- Renewals: Annually on FEBRUARY 28TH
- New Registrations: Within 30 days of the property's closing date
Non-Owner Occupied Property Registration Application
- Renewals: Single Family Properties: $75.00 / Multi-Family Properties: $75.00 for first unit, $20.00/Additional Unit (ex. Duplex: 2 units - $75.00 1st unit + $20.00 addl. Unit = Total Due: $95.00)
- New Registrations January 1 - September 30: Single Family Properties: $75.00 / Multi-Family Properties: $75.00 for first unit, $20.00/Additional Unit (ex. Duplex: 2 units - $75.00 1st unit + $20.00 addl. Unit = Total Due: $95.00)
- New Registrations October 1 - December 31: Single Family Properties: $50.00 / Multi-Family Properties: $50.00 for first unit, $20.00/Additional Unit (ex. Duplex: 2 units - $50.00 1st unit + $20.00 addl. Unit = Total Due: $70.00)
It is the responsibility of the property owner to:
- Ensure their property is registered annually by February 28th
- Provide an accurate and complete listing of properties requiring registration
- Remit payment by the designated due date
- Provide updated contact information (mailing address, email address, phone number)
- Notify the office of any changes regarding the registered property (property sold, property acquired, new property manager etc)
Short-Term Rental License
Contact the Community Development Department 309-494-8600 to find out if your property requires a Special Use Permit to operate as a Short-Term Rental BEFORE applying for a Short-Term Rental License
Short-Term Rental License & Tax Portal
License Renewal Date
- Short-term Rental License renewals are due JANUARY 31st each year.
- Emails reminding licensees of their upcoming renewal will be sent out 30 days prior to due date. (Renewal is still required even if you do not receive an email)
- If you miss the renewal deadline, you will be required to apply for a NEW short-term rental license.
- Renewals: $75.00 annually per short-term rental unit
- New License: $75.00 per short-term rental unit
- There is no discount for additional units, each unit must be licensed individually.
*A credit card/debit card transaction fee will apply.
Short-Term Rental properties are required to remit the City's Municipal Hotel/Motel/Room Rental Rental Tax.
- Tax Rate: A tax is assessed at 8.00% for each rented unit for each 24-hour period or any portion thereof, if the period of rental is longer than 30 days, the tax is not imposed. (ROOM STAYS OF 30 DAYS OR MORE ARE THE ONLY ALLOWABLE DEDUCTIONS)
- Tax Remittance: Tax remittance can ONLY be submitted via the Short-Term License & Tax Web Portal . The City requires this tax to be remitted upon renewal of your Short-Term Rental License each year in January. Tax payments can be remitted Annually, Monthly, or Quarterly.
- Tax Forms: Tax documentation and the City's Tax Return form are required upon remittance of the tax. Documentation can be in the form of your State of Illinois tax form indicating taxable room stays or full listing of fees and room stays for each month or quarter tax is being remitted for. The City's Short-Term Rental Tax Return is modeled after the website for ease of submittal.
*The City of Peoria does not have an agreement with AirBNB or with VRBO, they do not remit the City's required Municipal tax. Payment for this tax must be remitted by the property owner or their designated agent.
- How do I know if my property should be registered?
Residential Properties must be registered/licensed if they fall under any of the categories listed below:
- Rental Property: Property is being rented by a tenant (family member or non-family member)
- Vacant Property: Property is unoccupied and has been vacant for 6 months or longer
- Investment Property: Property is not the primary residence of the deeded owner
- Contract-For-Deed: If you are selling your property as Contract-For-Deed, it is not owner occupied UNTIL an official deed transfer occurs, therefore the property must be registered with the City.
- Multi-Family Properties: All multi-family properties must be registered with the City.
- Short-Term Rental Property - Property or room/part thereof is being rented to a transient guest for 29 days or less
- What does it mean to register my property as "Exempt"?
Non-Owner Occupied Exemptions
Some Non-Owner Occupied Properties can qualify as "Exempt." Exempt properties must still be registered, however the required registration fee is waived if the properties meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Property is occupied by an immediate family member (Parent, Sibling, Grandparent, Child)
- Owner occupied duplex*. (The deeded owner of the property lives in one unit of the duplex)
- Property is temporarily vacant for no more than 6 continuous months
- Property is vacant and listed for sale (copy of MLS/proof of sale must be provided)
- Property has been "Mothballed" per City Code and has an active Mothball Permit
- Property is in probate or similar estate settlement status
*A Duplex is the only qualifying multi-family property eligible for exemption
Short-Term Rental Property Tax Exemption:
- Room stays that are 30 consecutive days or more are exempt from the 8% Room Rental tax*
*Short-Term Rental Properties are not eligible for any other exemption
- How do I pay for my Property Registration?
Ways To Pay for Non-Owner Occupied Property Registration
- In Person: Cash, Credit Card, Check, or Money Order at City Hall Treasury Department 419 Fulton St. Rm. 100 Peoria, IL 61602
- Mail: Check or Money Order payment is accepted via mail payment to: City of Peoria Attn: Office of Accounts Receivable 419 Fulton St. Room 111 Peoria, IL 61602
- Drop Box: Check or Money Order payment can be placed in the drop box located to the immediate right of the front door of City Hall, 419 Fulton St Peoria, IL 61602
When remitting your payment for a registration renewal, please be sure to include the following:
- Property Address and/or Parcel Number being registered
- City Assigned Registration Number (if known)
- If remitting payment for more than 1 property, be sure to include a complete list of ALL properties for which payment is being remitted.
- Copy of Invoice and/or Invoice number provided by Accounts Receivable Office (if applicable)
- If mailing, check or money order payment for registration
When remitting payment for a NEW property registration please be sure to include the following:
- Completed Property Registration Form
- If mailing, check or money order payment for registration.
Ways to Pay for Short-Term Rental Property License & Taxes
- Payment and registration can ONLY be received via our registration website for Short-Term Rentals: Short-Term Rental License & Tax Payment Link